Student Personal Information

By keeping your personal information up-to-date you ensure that York University is always able to communicate with you about your academic record, financial matters, graduation and/or unexpected scheduling changes or closures, and is able to authenticate your enrolment with government agencies.

Please review the purpose and updating procedure for each of the following identifying pieces of information.

Social Insurance Number

Your social insurance number (SIN) provided to government financial aid agencies ensures that your application is processed accurately and efficiently. Use the button below to provide, or update if incorrect, your social insurance number:

Your Official Name

The name you provided when you applied to York University is the official name that appears in your student record, on class lists, in communications and official letters from York, as well as on your official transcripts and your diploma.

For your correct name to appear on your diploma, the Name Change Form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by May 1 for the June convocation and September 15 for the October convocation. If you submit the form after the deadline date, you will have to order and pay for a replacement diploma.

If your name is incorrect in our files or if your name changes, you should request a name change. Also if, for example, you applied to York as “Debbie”, and that’s what you are commonly known as, but you want your diploma to have your legal name, “Deborah”, you can request a given name change. Complete the Name Change Form below and submit it, along with two pieces of valid identification, to Registrarial Services in the Bennett Centre for Student Services.

Valid identification documents are:

  • Certificate of Birth (original or certified/notarized copy)
  • Court Name Change (original or certified/notarized copy)
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card


  • There currently is no facility allowing the use of a “common name”, or a non-legal change of name related to gender identity, in addition to your official name. If you wish to go by another name in class, feel free to advise your instructor.
  • A historical record is kept of each name used while you were a student at York University.

Name and Gender Identity Profile Change

If your legal name is changing in conjunction with your gender identity status change, submit the Name and Gender Identity Change Form.

Contact Information

Each academic session when you first enrol in your courses, you will be presented with the option to provide an up-to-date cell phone number as well as a preferred e-mail address for communication. If this information changes after you have enrolled, use the button below to provide an update. You can also use it to:

  • change your address,
  • provide new contact numbers for phone or e-mail purposes, and/or
  • provide or update information regarding next of kin contact information in the event of an emergency.

Note that if you live in on-campus residence, your local address will be automatically modified through information provided by Housing at the beginning and end of your lease. If you live off campus, however, please use the student address module to inform us of your local mailing address.