Course Drop

Stay informed! Check that your contact information is up-to-date and be aware that if you unsubscribe from York emails you may miss receiving information that's important to your progress. Effective January, 2019, students enrolled in classes who previously unsubscribed will be automatically resubscribed at the beginning of each term.

As a result of the labour disruption, undergraduate students have the option to drop full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) and Winter 2018 (W) courses from March 5, 2018 (when the strike began) through to January 10, 2019, and not receive a grade.

Students must submit the online Course Drop Request form on or before January 10, 2019.

What is the course drop option and am I eligible?

On March 29, 2018, the Executive Committee of Senate released extended options for dropping a course without receiving a grade. Undergraduate students enrolled in full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) or Winter 2018 (W) term undergraduate courses may submit the Course Drop Request form to drop from a course without any penalty or notation on the student’s transcript. Students are encouraged to review their grades and enrolments prior to submitting the request, as a drop will result in the loss of the grade and credits for the course(s). This may impact your academic progress or eligibility to graduate.

Students who submit the Course Drop Request form can utilize the Tuition Credit Opportunity (TCO) to retake the course(s) they have dropped, or another course of equal credit value, any time before the end of the Winter 2019 term, without paying additional tuition. Please visit the Financial Aid & OSAP webpage for more information about the TCO.

Please note that the course drop option is only available for full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) and Winter 2018 (W) courses. Fall 2017 term (F) courses are not eligible for this option as there was no impact from the strike at this time. Students who wish to drop a Fall 2017 (F) course must submit an academic petition to their home Faculty and will not be eligible for the TCO option. Fall 2018 term (F) or Fall/Winter 2018-2019 (Y) courses are also not eligible. If you are not eligible for the course drop option, please review the Manage My Academic Record website for other options available to you.

How do I use the Course Drop Request form and what is the process once I submit it?

A Course Drop Request form is available online to enable eligible students to drop courses without receiving a grade. The form can be found under the Courses and Enrolment section on the Registrar’s Office website and is labelled "Drop courses due to labour disruption". Alternatively, you can click here to go directly to the form. You will be required to log into the form using your Passport York credentials.

Before completing a Course Drop Request form, check your Grade Reports and course enrolments to ensure that a course drop request is your best course of action.

The Course Drop Request form includes:

  1. Identification page: the form will automatically fill in your name, student number and email address.
  2. Identify courses: students will need to identify which courses they want to drop by providing the Faculty, course code and number of credits the course is worth.
  3. Review: Check the overview of the information you have entered and submit the form.

Where can I review the status of my request?

After submitting the Course Drop Request form, your request will be reviewed by the Office of the University Registrar. Once reviewed, you will receive an email update with further information if you are deemed ineligible for this option. You will receive a separate email with information about accepting the terms and conditions of the Tuition Credit Opportunity, should you be eligible. Please be aware that requests submitted through the Course Drop Request form are reviewed individually, so an email confirmation may take up to five business days. Check your grade report and enrolments regularly for confirmation that requested course drops have been processed.

Please note that there will be a discrepancy between your enrollments listed on the Registration and Enrolment Module (REM) and the status of your Course Drop Request form. Although REM will state that you cannot change your enrolment, submitting the Course Drop Request form will allow eligible students to drop courses and change their enrolment status.

When do I submit the Course Drop Request form?

The online Course Drop Request form must be submitted from March 5, 2018, when the strike began, and January 10, 2019, the new deadline to drop a full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) or Winter 2018 (W) course without any penalty or notation on the student’s transcript.

Can I submit a Course Drop Request form if I write my exam and/or have already received a grade for the course?

Yes. If you have completed full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) or Winter 2018 (W) courses during the labour disruption by writing your final exam or submitting your final assignment, and/or have already received a grade for the course but feel your performance in the course was negatively affected, you may still submit a Course Drop Request form up until January 10, 2019.

Will dropping courses impact my OSAP standing/eligibility?

York University has worked with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) to ensure the following for York students in receipt of Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) assistance:

  • Students who withdraw from full-time studies will not face OSAP academic progress penalties as a result of their withdrawal after March 5, 2018.*
  • Students who make changes to their course load or withdraw as a result of the labour disruption will not face overpayments restrictions or grant to loan conversions.*

* Please note academic progress penalties, overpayments and grant to loan conversion may apply to your OSAP file if your withdrawal occurred prior to the labour disruption; and if similarly, you had existing academic progress concerns prior to the labour disruption.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the course drop option and my eligibility for this option?

If you have questions about the Course Drop Request form and your eligibility, you can email

If you have Faculty-specific questions regarding your academic program, course status, degree requirements, course completion options, etc, please contact your Faculty representative:

Arts, Media, Performance & Design
Office of Advising and Integrated Student Services

Laura Crane
416-736-2100, ext. 20053

Environmental Studies


Associate Dean for Students
Parissa Safai
416-736-2100, ext. 20896

Lassonde School of Engineering

Liberal Arts & Professional Studies

Osgoode Hall Law School Assistant Dean, Students
Mya Rimon
Associate Dean (Students)
Benjamin Berger

Schulich School of Business
Student & Enrolment Services 
(416) 736-5303

Student Academic Services