Student Information Regarding Remediation

Make sure we have your most up-to-date contact information to ensure that you are receiving official emails from York University about matters concerning your student record and financial status. If you have unsubscribed to York’s email service at any time, you can resubscribe by sending an email request to Please include the preferred email address that is on your student record in your request. Verify or update your contact information.

On Friday, June 15, CUPE 3903 Unit 2 – Contract Faculty – accepted an offer of settlement. Contract Faculty are returning to work effective Monday, June 18.

The remediation process for the completion of Fall/Winter 2017-2018 and Winter 2018 courses and the finalization of grades will comply with the Executive Committee of Senate Completion of Courses and Finalization of Grades and the Senate Policy on the Academic Implications of Disruptions or Cessations of University Business Due to Labour Disputes or Other Causes.

Below you will find initial information about the remediation options available to you; please consult the “Remediation for Fall/Winter 2017-18” tab for a list of your academic options. Plans are being finalized for how students will be able to complete their Fall/Winter 2017-2018 full year courses and Winter 2018 term courses and receive final grades. Those remediation processes will be communicated to you by your course instructors.

For more information about dates and deadlines visit the Remediation Important Dates web page.

Please note that teaching assistants, represented by CUPE 3903 Unit 1 and graduate assistants, represented by CUPE 3903 Unit 3, remain on strike. This means that not all disrupted courses will be resuming. If you are not sure what unit your course instructor belongs to, please contact your Faculty directly.

Remediation Options

What does “remediation” mean?

Senate policy uses the term “remediation” to describe “accommodations for students, modifications of normal academic regulations, and adjustments in class and examination schedules” and it states that “the completion of courses will involve a combination of such changes.”

How long will it take before we know when suspended courses will resume?

Students will be contacted by their instructors who have returned to work. Individual instructors are in the best position to determine the appropriate remediation for their courses and will do so by working with their departments /Faculty and their students, and in alignment with remedial actions approved by Executive Committee of Senate. Instructors will also be submitting outstanding grades including Assessed Grades.

Please note that teaching assistants, represented by CUPE 3903 Unit 1 and graduate assistants, represented by CUPE 3903 Unit 3, remain on strike. This means that not all disrupted courses will be resuming.

When is the remediation period?

The period between July 23 and August 20 is the official remediation period for completing the balance of in-class teaching. The dates and times for courses scheduled during this period will be communicated to students by their instructors. Some exceptions will apply. The remediation period will be followed by an exam period.

The period leading up to July 23 allows students the necessary time to turn their attention to outstanding assignments, review material, meet with instructors during office hours and consider their schedules in advance of the start of classes. No assignments will be required for submission the week of June 18 to 22, 2018 as students require notice regarding due dates for assignments.

What are some potential remediation options for completing my Fall/Winter 2017-2018 and Winter 2018 courses if I cannot return to campus?

Instructors will provide flexible options for students who cannot or choose not to participate in resumed classes and/or in-class course lectures. Options include reasonable alternative access to materials covered, extension of deadlines, modification of normal academic regulations, adjustments to in-class and examination schedules and other remedies. Note that some exceptions or separate provisions apply, such as for Osgoode students. This information has already been communicated to those students. Other exceptions include students enrolled in programs with external accreditation requirements.

Some academic options have already been announced, such as an extension of the date by which to drop a course without receiving a grade. Other options are always available to instructors and students, such as deferrals. For a full list of options, see the Executive Committee of Senate Completion of Courses and Finalization of Grades.

What other course completion options are available during the labour disruption?

Multiple course completion and remediation options are available to students. Some of these options, such as Assessed Grades and the extended course drop deadline, are specific to the labour disruption, while other options are available to students whether or not there is a labour disruption. Some of these options may have altered deadlines or requirements due to the disruption.

Assessed grades are final grades based on work completed that comprises a defined proportion of the assignments in a course syllabus. Students may choose to opt for an assessed grade if they have completed a minimum of 70 percent of the coursework from the original course syllabus. Please visit the Assessed Grades page on the Current Students website for more information.

Course Drop Option: Students may drop full year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 (Y) and Winter 2018 (W) courses from March 5, 2018 (when the strike began) through to December 31, 2018, and not receive a grade by submitting the online Course Drop Request form.

Pass/Fail grading option: Students may elect to earn a limited number of credits on a pass/fail basis in some courses. The following conditions apply only for full-year Fall/Winter 2017-2018 and Winter 2018 Term courses:

  • Students are permitted to add 6 credits above the normal maximum for both 90 (normally 6 credits) and 120 credit (normally 12 credits).
  • Graduating students and those otherwise in their last term at York may elect a Pass/Fail grade for General Education courses, including Core Science requirements that are part of the BSc General Education requirements.
  • Graduating students and others in their final term at York may, in exceptional circumstances, request a Pass/Fail grade in major or minor courses (not including for-credit practica) and outside-the-major required courses, at the discretion of Associate Deans.
  • Non-graduating students in good standing may, in exceptional circumstances, request to have General Education courses evaluated as Pass/Fail, not including Core Science requirements that are part of BSc General Education requirements for the BSc.
Normally, students must select a Pass/Fail grade in the first two weeks of classes. However the deadline to select the option has been extended to the last day of classes on the original schedule for courses that continued or the revised schedule following the disruption.

This option is very limited and can only be implemented by means of a formal request. Moreover, students are advised to consider this option with great care before electing it. A Pass/Fail notation on a course may have a negative impact on applications to graduate and professional programs.

For more information and to retrieve the necessary forms, see the Registrar’s Office website.

Note: Information on the Credit/No Credit option at the Osgoode Hall Law School is posted on MyOsgoode.

Deferred Standing/Course Extension: After discussion with their course instructor, students who know they will not be able to complete coursework (assignment, test, exam or other evaluation) by August 31 may defer their coursework. To do so, you will need to complete a Deferred Standing (for undergraduate students) or a Course Extension (for graduate students) form. Upon submission of the form, your request for deferred standing will be automatically approved. Outstanding coursework will need to be completed no later than December 21, 2018. Deferred Standing applies to Fall/Winter 2017-2018 full-year or Winter 2018 term courses only. The Deferred Standing/Course Extension form will be available online July 23, 2018.

Appeals, Petitions and Concerns: Normal appeal and petitions procedures remain in place. Students who have concerns about any aspect of course relief options should take them up with their instructors in the first instance. If they are unable to connect with instructors or are hesitant to do so, or if they are not satisfied with an outcome, they should, as always, communicate their concerns to the applicable department or Faculty office.

Accommodations on Religious Grounds or for Students with Disabilities: All normal accommodations for persons with disabilities and for religious reasons remain in place and must be respected.

Students may be required to complete a combination of the above options to finish the course and receive a grade. Please note that although your instructor has returned and is scheduling classes, you will be provided with remediation alternatives that do not require you to attend in-class lectures if you are unable or unwilling to do so (there may be some exceptions in the case of programs with accreditation).

Can I get help with my assignments?

Resources are available to help you complete your courses and assignments. All Libraries are open, Learning Skills Services and the Learning Commons are providing workshops and support, and your Faculty Academic Advisors are all available to assist you. Check online for additional Academic Resources.

I’m concerned about completing my studies and experiencing stress. Is there anyone I can talk to about challenges I may face completing my courses/course work?

If you are experiencing anxiety due to the disruption, please reach out to Student Counselling & Development, or, afterhours, Good2Talk. Visit the Campus Support FAQs webpage for more resources and contact information.

Is there an exam schedule for resumed Winter classes?

An examination period will follow the remediation period after August 20, and a detailed schedule for courses requiring exams will be made available as soon as it is confirmed.

I previously dropped a Winter course but now that the course has resumed I’d like to return to complete it. Can I do that?

If you dropped a course that was suspended but now want to re-enrol, you may do so by contacting York University’s Registrar.

Fees and Refunds

When do I have to pay the balance of fees owing from my Winter term?

The balance of fees owing from your Fall 2017/Winter 2018 term was due on June 10, 2018.

If I have to return on July 23 to complete coursework, will I receive OSAP funding for the return period and how do I get it?

The Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development is working on determining options for students who will be returning to complete their Fall/Winter 2017-2018 studies. More information will be published by the Ministry shortly.

I received the Tuition Credit Opportunity for my dropped Winter term course. How do I use it now for my Fall course enrolment?

If you have dropped a Winter 2017 course after March 5, 2018 and you have completed you Tuition Credit Opportunity Application form (and your account was in good financial standing), your Tuition Credit Opportunity should automatically appear on your student account as a TCO credit.

Once you enrol in your Fall courses, your TCO credit will be used against your Fall course fees on your student account.

If I’m still completing my Winter courses can I apply for Fall/Winter 2018 OSAP?

Yes. Please ensure you apply for OSAP by June 30, 2018 to receive your Fall/Winter 2018-19 funding in time for the Fall Session (to avoid interest on your September student statement).

For more information about financial aid options relating to the labour disruption, please visit the Financial Aid Options web page.


How do I contact my Faculty’s Academic Advisor?

If you have questions about remediation and course completion options, please contact your Faculty representative listed below.

Arts, Media, Performance & Design
Office of Advising and Integrated Student Services

Laura Crane
416-736-2100, ext. 20053

Environmental Studies


Associate Dean for Students
Parissa Safai
416-736-2100, ext. 20896

Lassonde School of Engineering

Liberal Arts & Professional Studies

Osgoode Hall Law School Assistant Dean, Students
Mya Rimon
Associate Dean (Students)
Benjamin Berger

Schulich School of Business
Student & Enrolment Services 
(416) 736-5303

Student Academic Services

Student Information Regarding Remediation
  • Course Drops Review the eligibility requirements, timelines and process of dropping a course as a result of the labour disruption. This information is specifically for Fall/Winter 2017-18 (Y) and Winter 2018 (W) courses dropped between March 5, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
  • Provisional Grades Provisional grades are temporary grade assignments calculated using your GPA that are subject to verification by your course director or dean’s office. Provisional grades are available to graduating undergraduate students only.
  • Assessed Grade Options Learn about the assessed grade option and how you can access an online tool to indicate your preference for an assessed grade. Information about Assessed Grade Attestation is also available.